Saturday, May 29, 2010

Fly by Night Duathlon Race Prep

So.... Today is the Fly by Night Duathlon. It is taking place at the Watkins Glen International racing facility, after a Porsche Clash. This is only going to be my second multi-sport event, the first being the Azalea Triathlon, in March. The race isn't until 5 or 6 tonight, so I only need to be there by 3 for registration (and Porsche oggling). Can you believe the transition area will be in the pit lane? Awesome. The race consists of a 1.86 mile run, followed by a 10 mile bike ride (3 laps of the track), followed by another 1.86 mile run, followed by yet another 10 mile bike ride, followed by (finally) another 1.86 mile run. So yeah, that's going to take me a while.

My goals for this race are pretty straightforward:
C Goal: I want to run a good/smart race: not blow up in the first 3 sections, go really hard on sections 4 and 5 (last bike and last run).
B Goal: If the track permits, I want to get my runs at under 8:20 pace, and my bikes at at least 17 mph average (although there are some speed turns and hills).
A Goal: I want to get my runs at sub-8 pace, and my bikes at at least 18 mph average. And place in my AG. There, I said it.

However, I have not trained for either my B or A goal. I have been focused on the half-ironman in August, meaning that I have been working hard on my endurance, and neglecting my speed. I also did not taper for this race, since I am putting all my energy in the half-ironman training. I am doing this race for three reasons: 1) it's going to be fun, 2) hubby is away so it will be nice for me to do something that is going to keep me busy and around others, 3) it is great racing practice.

I have about 1 1/2 hours to prepare, before leaving. According to google maps, it is about a 3 hour drive. If I leave by 9 or 10, I should be there in plenty of time to put my bike back together, test it, pump up the tires... My hubby usually does those things, but this week, he is is living it up in Europe, leaving me to fend for myself. I was also supposed to clean and lube the bikechain, but I got home late last night and focused on carbo-loading... Pasta and Ben & Jerry's Karamel Sutra. Yuuuuuum!

My little plan to eat more healthy backfired a bit. I managed to eat more fruit and vegetables than I normally would,protein at almost every meal, and slightly less junk (but still had bagels, lemon cake, ice cream, pasta, pretzels). However, I lost 1.2 kg in three days and my digestion has been a bit turbulent. So for today, I will stick to carbs, carbs, and more carbs, because I do not want any surprises, either for the 2 x 3 hour drive or the 2 hour race...

I need to go finish packing. I hope you all have great races and great trainings this weekend!

1 comment: