Sunday, April 17, 2011

Tempo!

Now that I have a goal (sub 1:55 on June 18th), I had to come up with a plan to achieve it. So... I took my sub-2 or bust plan from Runner's World and made some adjustments to the recommended times. My first tempo run was supposed to be on Thursday, but got moved to Saturday for practical reasons.

I have to confess, I really don't like running fast. I get really hot really quickly so I tend to blow up. Saturday's tempo run was no exception. The original plan called for a 5 mile run, of which 3 miles at 8:50. According to the McMillan running calculator, my tempo runs should be around 8:30, but I knew there was no way  I could do that so I settled for trying for 9:00's.

I first warmed up with 2 miles (the ones that include the stop lights) at 09:34 and 09:45 (faster than the 10:10 I was planning for) and then sped up. I had set the Garmin to Average Lap Pace, but I must have started too fast because it showed 08:15 for at least the first 1/2 mile. I slowed down and finished the first mile in 08:54. I got really hot during the second mile and after the turnaround. I took a 2 minute walking break (FAIL) during which I stopped the Garmin to get my heart rate from 180 to 140. I finished the second mile (08:49 excluding the break) and did not stop until I finished the third mile (08:52). I then took another 2 minute (it might have been longer) walking break and started jogging the last mile home. Fortunately, I met quite a few colleagues and had a good excuse to switch back to walking ;-) Total: 5.2 miles in 47:54.

While I really don't like speedwork or running fast(er), I am secretly looking forward to the next round!

Happy training!

No comments:

Post a Comment